A History of the Crown at Totley
The Crown Inn is the oldest pub in Totley. The building was converted into an ale house in 1727, when the main road from Sheffield to London passed outside its doorstep. The pub then only consisted of the central part of the building you see today (where the bar area is now) as the three remaining surrounding rooms were still inhabited cottages.
Early records show that some of the first people to acquire the pub were George and Dorothy Dalton in 1813. The pub was later taken over by their son George in the 1830's. However, when a more efficient route - Baslow Road - was created in the mid 19th century, the pub was bypassed and patronage declined.
Trade picked up when the building of theTotley Tunnel began and the pub became used for two very different purposes - one for the workmen to visit for a few pints after a hard day's work; the other being one of the cottage rooms put to use as a mortuary to lay the bodies of the men who sadly lost their lives while building the tunnel. Many more stories and distant memories can be told of The Crown