The Rose is one of the oldest public houses| in Bedford, having been an inn since at least the early 16th century. The building was listed by the former Department of Environment in 1971 as Grade II, of special interest. The listing states that the building has an early 19th century stucco front and a Welsh slate roof but that the "main structure may be 17th century or earlier". The earliest reference the Department could find was 1672 but deeds from the archive of the Dukes of Bedford indicate that it was an inn by 1546 which raises the exciting possibility that the oldest parts of the public house are 16th century or even older.
Serving quality products and delicious food throught the day.